Friday, October 30, 2009

We're in Business

So, folks. It's happening. I'm taking steps towards my own little printing enterprise. They are slow, careful steps. But they are steps, no less. Several months ago, after losing my job, I dove headfirst into writing the plans for my letterpress business. With the help of a talented designer, I crafted the logo for Four Hats Press, and articulated the story here. I had in mind to buy a press and get going right away. I even got several pages in on my business proposal. I was ankle-deep in things before I realized -- HOLD THE PHONE-- I don't have the foggiest idea what I'm doing.

And so, instead of buying a printing press,-- the one I conned the UAB Library Director to take out of the library and put up for sale-- I used the chunk of change I had in savings to come here to Penland. I figured a press would be of little use to someone who didn't have the rudimentary skills to operate it.

Thus, after having completed three-quarters of my program, I am moving toward the goal I set for myself almost four months ago. Granted, the realization of my business-owning dream is still off on the far-away horizon, I am making my way towards it, learning patience all the way.

Having said that, see above my logo, printed for the very first time on some scrap paper. I have big ideas in mind for packaging some of the things I've made here to sell on my etsy shop, for starters.

This here is my business card. The top portion is printed without color, producing a delicate de-bossed look, that I think is pretty boss. The lower part is printed in a sweet wintergreen hue with my favorite font. I think it delivers what the font creators aimed for it to do: "hit the right notes of forthrightness, credibility and charm."

Sidenote: I'm smitten with this color for several reasons. Number one: If ever, one day, I get to own my fantasy Vespa, it will be in this lovely shade of retro green. Secondly, when I see this color, I will forever be reminded of my grandfather's old car that was both painted this color on the outside and upholstered with it on the interior. It always smelled like the Doublement gum that he often chewed, and I thought that was such a funny, appropriate accompanying scent.

Here's the card again, this time printed fully with the green. My apologies for the sub-par photo quality.

Here is a "why, thank you" card that I've been working on for a few days now. This particular set is printed with navy ink on a thick cardstock.

Here, the same design is played out on a much softer, cottony paper, with that same green for the text.

Details. Details.

I'll post some pictures of other things I'm hoping to have for sale-sies in a bit, including but not limited to: gift tags, prints and other cards. There is a real tension here for creating art for art's sake versus making pieces to sell. The crazy thing is...I don't feel like art is cheapened by making commercial things. I quite fancy creating things that I would want to buy. And if no one does, that's just dandy, too.

Weather: Scarves are not just for fashion, anymore. They're also functionally necessary.
What I'm listening to: Cat Stevens' "Moonshadow."
What I'm reading: Back-logged issues of Real Simple and Ready Made, winding up to begin A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (again).
What I'm working on in class: A Wadsworth poem print and plans for a paperdoll.


3 comments:

rebekah said...

Am so so happy for you, and can't wait to see how your business turns out. Are you interested in doing printing for our stationery business as well?

Sarah said...

ooo i would be all over that minty thank you card, cory! Please keep sharing these lovely letter-pressed treats of yours... I love getting see your new creations! *you are missed*

Michael and Laura Healy said...

I love the designs, Cory! Can't wait to buy see all your items and go shopping! Hopefully we can catch up soon!!