Saturday, September 12, 2009

Play Me Some Mountain Music


Time is waning...the day of my departure from Birmingham is indeed coming round the mountain. Next week, I'll be on my merry way to Penland, NC to proceed with my adventures in letterpress. The taste in my mouth is bittersweet, as I'll be leaving a place a I love during my favorite time of the year. Not only will I miss the opportunity to hostess the 3rd Annual Day of Fall Fun,* I'll be picking up in the middle of what has been an action-packed (sleep-deprived) season of new and exciting nouns.**

I'll leave with some trepidation, but walk into a colorful world of learning, breathing and growing. I'm hoping that the seeds of interest planted long ago, will have their chance to push through the soil into the open air, getting the nutrition they require to be green with life. My prayer is that I'll learn the rudimentary printing practices that will build my house of knowledge on solid rock. If you're the praying kind, and you care to do so, join me in asking for that.

As I set off down the road, I'll no doubt need lots of car-time entertainment. In addition to the collection of Ira I've been stockpiling for weeks, I'll need a heavy dose of new music for this fresh page of life. Autumn beckons for some music dripping with oranges and golds. That's why, fall-loving friends, I've compiled the below list of songs to accompany me on my way. In turn, I'd like your recommendations. Comment below with 1+ of your own top picks for the coming season. I'd be much obliged.

1. Everytime You Say Goodbye - Alison Krauss
2. November Blues - Avett Brothers
3. Top of the World - Patty Griffin
4. Green Pastures - Emmylou Harris and Ricky Skaggs
5. Coming Home - Arthur Alligood
6. Wayside (Back in Town) - Chris Thile
7. Make Me A Pallet on Your Floor - Gillian Welch
8. Little Flowers - Denison Witmer
9. Boy With A Coin - Iron and Wine
10. Adieu False Heart - Linda Rondstadt
11. Appalachia Waltz - Edgar Meyer
12. Tiger Mountain Peasant Song - First Aid Kit
13. The Fire Thief - Hem
14. Since You've Been Around - Rosie Thomas
15. Far Far - Yael Naim
16. Rowing Song - Patty Griffin
17. Please Read The Letter - Alison Krauss and Robert Plant
18. Out on the Highway - The Everybodyfields
19. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - Bob Dylan
20. Flesh - David Gray

*Past participants of DOFF, and new friends alike, please wear plaid on October 24th in memory of this great occassion, and save the date for next year's celebration: quadruple the fun.

** people, places and things of course.

4 comments:

Carla Jean said...

I've got a 90-something song fall playlist, but one of the first songs I think of for this time of year is "Every Season" by Nichole Nordeman. OK, yes, it is technically about every season. But I love it the most in the autumn.

Matt Francisco said...

"Dead Leaves & the Dirty Ground" I like Thile's version best... Alexi Murdoch "Orange Sky"; Amos Lee "NIght Train." I'm just rambling here.

Stephanie said...

A new song I've been listening to that you might like: White Daisy Passing by Rocky Votolato. It was good to see you today!

Chet said...

Fall won't hit Florida for a good month or two, but my autumn playlists are already in full swing. Here are a few favorites.

Billy Bragg & Wilco: "Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key"

Bon Iver: "Flume"

Deer Tick: "Ashamed"

Fleet Foxes: "Blue Ridge Mountains"

The Welcome Wagon: "Up on a Mountain"