Tuesday, November 18, 2008

For Your Entertainment Pleasure

Just a little anecdote: I was about 10 years old when my dad decided to take up playing the Native American Flute. Joining a flute society and befriending a Peruvian, he started a collection of authentic wooden instruments and began the process of teaching himself. From anywhere in the house, Dad could be heard piping away. His favorite and most-reoccuring number was "Green Sleeves." For a while, he carried a flute with him wherever he went. In the car. On a hike. To friend's houses. In a moment's notice, he was known to whip it out and blow us a tune for, what he called "our entertainment pleasure."

Anyways, the following is a list of songs that are accompanying my recent days. I'll call this playlist: "For Your Entertainment Pleasure." Click each link for a listen.

1. Band of Horses (Both Cease to Begin and Everything All the Time. Thanks be to the treasure box who shared them with me.)
2. Fleet Foxes
3. Ray LaMontagne (Gossip in the Grain)
4. Ingrid Michaelson (Be OK. Album faves include, but are not limited to: "You and I" and "The Chain.")
5. Abby's 3-CD-long playlist entitled "Falling Like Leaves" including this jewel: "Lovin's for Fools" by Sara Siskind (GOLD!)
6. Modern Skirts (particularly the new stuff! Yeah for the chance to see them at Urban last week. Three cheers for the Skirts!)

4 comments:

Matt Francisco said...

Cory, your musical taste makes my heart smile with delight. I too love the new Ingrid, am contented with Ray's latest creation, and love, yes that strong of a word is stunningly appropriate, Sara Siskind (or Bon Iver covering her).

P.S. There's a site (Seeq Pod, I think?) that will make a playlist for you that others can access. It's super cool.

Jamie said...

Cory. Hi. Just letting you know that I read your blog in the wee hours of the morn. ...and that right now i wish i was slumbering in a room adjacent to yours...

Cory said...

cool, mat. james, i too long for the days of coinciding slumber.

Abby said...

Cory, I can't believe I made the blog! I love to read your thoughts. They're well put together and they resonate with me in overwhelming ways. Thanks rooms!